Thursday, June 5, 2008

Being green . . .

For about a year now I have been in the learning process of being better at conserving energy, water, money, and recycling, etc. All of those things that no one ever taught me, and I have been embarrassed to admit that I really was just too lazy to start recycling, or worry about filling up our landfills. This past year God has opened my eyes in so many new ways, that I am finding pure joy and really having fun learning these new things. The first big change happened just after the baby was born, and I just was having a hard time paying for those diapers. I was getting sick to my stomach thinking about it. When I thought of cloth diapers, I would remember back to my babysitting days and think of pokey pins and plastic covers. When I started asking around about cloth diapers, I found a whole new world that I had never explored. To my surprise, I love using cloth diapers! I have a friend who so graciously passed on to me cloth diapers that I have been using, and this has been a HUGE blessing! She gave me Fuzzi Bunz brand, and they are my favorite. I have been using cloth diapers now for 9 months exclusively, except for our trip to Disneyland, and our anniversary trip. Why didn't I ever try this with my other three kids? I don't really know, but I will keep posting of my new adventure in the quest to be a better steward of all of God's provisions in this world. And with the super high gas prices, this is sorta fun! If you have never tried cloth diapers, go for it. Try it! Its really not as hard as it may seem.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You go girl! :O)

Hot Sauce Mama said...

It's great isn't it! I remember when I thought about telling people I was using cloth, I knew for sure you would all think I was insane! I love using cloth and doing our part for the environment. I might blog about this as well! Great Job!

The Budz Family said...

Thank you for the encouragments! Do you do anything special to clean out your washing machine? I have been soaking it once a month in vinegar and baking soda and it seems to rinse away any unwanted residue. I was just curious as I like hearing what others do so I can learn. Thanks again!

Hot Sauce Mama said...

No I never thought of cleaning out the washing machine. You have a front loader yeah? I'd love some ideas. I get some white residue on my darks alot! So I always wonder if that has anything to do with it.