Sunday, June 8, 2008

Community Supported Agriculture

For the past year or so, I have been trying to support our local farmers, especially since we live in the heartland of agriculture. I have been trying to shop at our local farmers markets, and fruit stands. This has been great, but hasn't always worked for me, with the busy schedules of four children, we weren't always able to go to the farmers market. About two months ago I heard about CSA (Community supported agriculture) and had wondered about it, but hadn't taken the time to do anything about it. Finally, three weeks ago I signed up with our local CSA, which is Family Farm Fresh.


Every Monday, I get one of these lovely baskets delivered to my door. Now, for me, this is like a miracle. I support the local farmers, I get great, fresh food, and they deliver it to ME! I got my first basket last Monday. It had oranges, blueberries, tomatoes, red onions, lettuce, radishes, summer squash, apricots, cucumbers, and scallions. I also ordered farm fresh eggs, and they came in my basket as well. I will take a picture of my actual basket next time.

I wanted to post some of the things I have made for our family to enjoy this week with food from our basket.
- Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables recipe from Giada De Laurentis

This is her picture from the website, I forgot to take pictures. I am getting better. From the basket I used the onion, the summer squash, the tomatoes, and a radish.

- Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries by Emeril Legasse
I forgot to take a pic, dang it. There were no left overs. I used the farm fresh eggs for these melt-in-your-mouth babies! My Lingonberry jam was from my last trip to LA where we visited the IKEA. Pretty darned good.

- Fish Tacos by Tyler Florence and I made salsa with the onions and tomatoes

This is my actual plate. You can't see my homemade salsa very well on my taco, but it is there. I also used my lettuce from the basket, and oh, I forgot, I made a summer salad. I used the recipe by Rachel Ray. It is there on my plate. Very yummy! Here are my kids enjoying their dinner too!




- Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze by Tyler Florence


This morning I made these using the blueberries from my basket. I also used lemons from my friend Melinda's backyard, very yummy! Oh, and we had fresh squeezed orange juice from the oranges from the basket.

Just wanted to share, enjoy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

mmMMMM good! You can come and cook at my house anytime. :O) I have a small amount of blueberries I have no idea what to do with them.. have any ideas?

The Budz Family said...

I did cook there . . . a few times this year . . . apple butter, peanut butter and jelly, cookies, and hasty pudding! Oh wait, the kids did most of that cooking, ok, well maybe I will have to just think about that now.

Hot Sauce Mama said...

I am making the blueberry scones soon! I cannot wait! I LOVE scones and love blueberries and lemon. Will be great! Thanks for sharing!

The Budz Family said...

I licked the bowl, like I did a total Peter Aijan on the bowl with the Lemon Icing! The best part! Hope you enjoy.

Candee said...

Thank Lori for that information. I had never heard of farm fresh. This is so exciting!

The Budz Family said...

You are welcome Candee. I love it so much, I think many others, like yourselves, would too! And probably Ginger too. I feel so spoiled that it comes to my door! But it is like getting a gift every monday, whoo hoo!

Hot Sauce Mama said...

Bahahaha Peter Aijan! I'm laughing outloud and hard. I will never look at those cups the same again! Can't wait till this weekend to make them!